Yoga for Complete Body Fitness
In the word Salabhasana, “salabh” means “grasshopper”. While doing this asana the body become likes a grass hopper(Locust Pose) and therefore it gets the name “Salabhasana”. This pose mainly aims at the abdomen, upper and lower back. It helps build flexibility and strengthens the back. This pose gives a nice curve to the lower back as well.
Benefits Of Salabhasana Pose:
- Improves digestion
- It gives flexibility to the back muscles and spine.
- Massages internal organs
- Strengthens the upper back, arms, fingers, hamstrings, and calves.
- Helps back or spinal problems such as gout, slipped disc, and sciatica
- Helps tennis elbow and is also excellent for toning the buttocks and hips.
- It can strengthen the shoulders and neck muscles.
How To Do Salabhasana (Locust Pose):
- Lie flat on your stomach, your arms by your side with palms facing outward and your feet apart with the toes pressing downward.
- Keeping your lower body firm, inhale and lightly lift your shoulders by exerting pressure on your palms and then lift your head keeping your neck long.(do not arch the neck back)
- On your exhale, lift your chest and arms. keeping them parallel to the ground and bring your shoulder blades slightly closer together.
- Exert a little pressure on your knees and lift them up slightly. This will exert pressure and tilt the pelvis while drawing the navel in.
- Maintain this position for 15 to 30 sec. Keeping your breath smooth and even.
- on an exhalation slowly release your upper body to the ground and your arms back down in resting position.
- Rest for a minute and repeat the exercise a few times.
How To Do (With 1 Leg):
- Lie on belly with chin forward on a towel.
- Lift hips, turn arms in and pin arms underneath the body.
- Move arms underneath body by lifting one hip at a tie and rolling to one side.
- Keep palm flatly on the floor, spread fingers, and point fingers toward knees.
- Relax and keep body firm and steady.
- Without lifting hips, raise right leg straight up to 45 degrees, and keep left leg relaxed on the floor.
- Maintain tightened muscles in the right leg, point toes, and lock the knee.
- Touch hip bones to forearms and ensure right hip is not twisting out.
- Keep stretching right leg back and hold the pose for 10 seconds.
- Repeat with left leg.
How To Do (With Both Legs):
- Protect neck by tilting head down, tucking the chin in, and keeping mouth on the towel.
- Keep arms underneath the body.
- Straighten legs, point toes, and lock knees.
- Lift legs up away from the floor, breathe through the nose and hold pose for 10 seconds.
- Strive to lift legs and hips away floor all the way to belly button.
- Use every ounce of strength in legs and abdomen.
- Lower both legs without collapsing.
- Turn to one side.
- Avoid if you have knee injury
- Avoid if you have sciatica
- Should be done with care if you are a beginner