Benefits of Yoga During Pregnancy
Pregnancy is a joyful time for any expecting mother. However, as pregnancy can be physically and mentally straining, women have turned to prenatal yoga for all its benefits. Pregnancy is an exciting time often causes the mind to overthink and be stressed. With yoga, women can escape the anxieties and focus on themselves in a calm and relaxing environment. The benefits of yoga during pregnancy are enormous. Many of the yoga postures we practice are ones that women instinctively use during and birth. They widen the pelvic diameter, help to position the baby properly and prepare you psychologically for birth. When you practice yoga you learn to breathe and release sensations of stiffness as your muscles stretch, this helps to prepare the mind and body for birth. Below are reasons why pregnant women everywhere practice yoga. I am sure after knowing the benefits you will not think of skipping yoga during your pregnancy period.
- It is important to practice relaxation breathing exercises prior to labor. This will allow for an easier childbirth because the body will be trained to remain calm.
- As the body changes, aches and pains are inevitable, with regular prenatal yoga, stretches and poses can soothe sore and tender muscles.
- Strength is needed at every stage of pregnancy, especially as weight is gained. Building strength will increase mobility, balance, and circulation.
- Yoga decreases lower back pain, nausea, headaches, and shortness of breath.
- Breathing techniques used in yoga can help reduce or manage the shortness of breath that may accompany pregnancy and helps women learn how to breathe through a physical challenge such as labor.
- Decrease the risk of preterm labor, or pregnancy-induced hypertension and intrauterine growth restriction (a condition that slows a baby’s growth).
- It helps in faster muscle recovery after childbirth.
- Yoga relaxes the body while preparing the muscles of the lower body for use in childbirth.
- Yoga helps the expectant mother to prepare her body and mind for giving birth comfortably.
- A regimen of specifically targeted asanas correct posture, improve balance, flexibility and reinforce the pelvic muscles.
Yoga helps to relieve many of the common discomforts of pregnancy, such as lower back pain. Practicing yoga before, during and after pregnancy can help the new mother in faster recovery and on to an enjoyable motherhood experience.